2017 Boundary Stones ride

Our Community Forums Pictures & Videos 2017 Boundary Stones ride

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lordofthemark
    Participant

As promised to Keith, here are the pictures I took

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15576[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15577[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15579[/ATTACH]

eminva
    Participant

Thank you lordofthemark for shepherding me through much of Virginia. Alexandria was the part that was least familiar to me. You were a great guide, especially for the novice cyclist whose friends had abandoned him!

Here are some photos — I made it all the way and saw 33 stones. I am curious to know if anyone made it to the stone in the woods near Eastern and Kenilworth (or has made it in the previous years)? I had no idea how far back it was and the area looked like folks use it as a waste dump, so I took a pass.

Also, there is a final SE stone down by the Potomac River just west of I-295. Has anyone been there?

Rod? Bobco?

Other than that, I missed two of the ones in Arlington backyards; didn’t want to go traipsing through at the risk of someone exercising their 2nd amendment rights. Also missed the two in Dalecarlia (I didn’t realize you can see one from the CCT and I was alone then). I missed the one at Blue Plains — was afraid of losing daylight — as well as that one by the Potomac, and I’m not even sure how I would have gotten to it anyway. But saw all the rest!

Liz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15581[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15582[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15583[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15584[/ATTACH]

bobco85
    Participant

@eminva 166628 wrote:

Here are some photos — I made it all the way and saw 33 stones. I am curious to know if anyone made it to the stone in the woods near Eastern and Kenilworth (or has made it in the previous years)? I had no idea how far back it was and the area looked like folks use it as a waste dump, so I took a pass.

Also, there is a final SE stone down by the Potomac River just west of I-295. Has anyone been there?

Rod? Bobco?

For the NE8 stone, you have to go through a gap in the fence into a sketchy lot behind (NW of) the intersection of Kenilworth & Eastern, then walk probably about 300-400 feet and look for the stone along the fence on the right. When I found it, it took a bit of walking through the weeds, but it’s there.

For the SE9 stone between I-295 and the Potomac River, yes, I’ve been to it! Here’s my proof that involved stepping on a board with a nail in it that went through my shoe and into my toe (long story short, it wasn’t too bad, plus I was up-to-date on my tetanus shot): http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?p=123681#post123681 If you are feeling adventurous and have a good sense of spatial geographical awareness (read: lots of estimation and trying to find possible landmarks while using GPS), I would recommend going with a group of people and attempting to find it some time in winter (say, a warm day) when the thorny bushes and vines have died back.

eminva
    Participant

Wow, interesting, Bobco! Quite an adventure. Wonder if you could get there by kayak, if you were so inclined? I’m not a kayaker so I have no idea if that is even possible or where you would start.

I came upon the bridge to nowhere following the cue sheet through Oxon Hill Farm Park. I had to do a wet foot crossing. May have been able to ride across, but the opposite bank looked steep and muddy and my legs were in no shape for adventure by that point.

Liz

bobco85
    Participant

@eminva 166632 wrote:

Wow, interesting, Bobco! Quite an adventure. Wonder if you could get there by kayak, if you were so inclined? I’m not a kayaker so I have no idea if that is even possible or where you would start.

I came upon the bridge to nowhere following the cue sheet through Oxon Hill Farm Park. I had to do a wet foot crossing. May have been able to ride across, but the opposite bank looked steep and muddy and my legs were in no shape for adventure by that point.

Liz

You know, I never thought about getting to the SE9 stone by kayak, but it seems absolutely possible; future eminva group kayak trip to the stone?

To be honest, I am disappointed that the washed out bridge in Oxon Hill Farm Park STILL has not been replaced, and it’s been over 2 years without so much as a low-budget solution like a few extra stepping stones.

accordioneur
    Participant

@bobco85 166651 wrote:

You know, I never thought about getting to the SE9 stone by kayak, but it seems absolutely possible; future eminva group kayak trip to the stone?

Sigh. Now I’m going to have to find this stone by kayak. Did you know there are kayaks that you pedal rather than paddle?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.