2014 Bike to Work Day Registration Is Open

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2014 2014 Bike to Work Day Registration Is Open

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    consularrider
    Participant

Hope to see some of you there! Link

SilverSpring
    Participant

@consularrider 78934 wrote:

Hope to see some of you there! Link

Done! Hurrah! And I’ll see you there (provided, of course, you ride really really lethargically to begin with and are further slowed by stopping at as many pit stops as you can at which you attempt to get an ungodly number of water bottles in the hopes that–this year, at least–your children won’t find them and mix up all of the caps or melt them in the dishwasher).

ebubar
    Participant

BTWD pros: suggestions on Pit Stop with the best stuff? I made it to three different stops last year, and it looked like Rosslyn had some of the best goodies.
    Might register that as my Pit Stop of choice…

cyclingfool
    Participant

@ebubar 78979 wrote:

BTWD pros: suggestions on Pit Stop with the best stuff? I made it to three different stops last year, and it looked like Rosslyn had some of the best goodies.
    Might register that as my Pit Stop of choice…

I’m interested in the responses to this question here. From friends I’ve talked to in years past, one of whom stopped at multiple pit stops between Reston and DC, Rosslyn seems to be best. All the BTWDs I’ve done over the last several years I’ve gone to Alexandria City Hall as my pit stop since I live in Alexandria. It’s been fine, and I see some folks I know, but I’m thinking of a change of scenery this year and doing Crystal City, Rosslyn, or Freedom Plaza… after, of course, a stop at the new-for-this-year Del Ray pit stop. :)

consularrider
    Participant

As far as best pit stops, I’ve only ridden to six of the northern Virginia ones. The afternoon Falls Church isn’t offered this year, and the East Falls Church afternoon stop had very limited offerings. Both the Alexandria Old Town and the Rosslyn pit stops have lots on offer, Crystal City runs all five work days with different offerings each day (at least that’s what happened the past two years, but doesn’t say so far this year), and Ballston is nice, but more not as many displays. Don’t forget that you are not limited to visiting the pit stop where you are registered. You can get swag at any pit stop, but can only get the t-shirt where you register. Different pit stops open at different times so you have to factor that in as well if you plan to do a tour de pit stops.

PeteD
    Participant

So… If I work for my own consulting company, and I work from my home office, can I still qualify to win a bike rack outside my business? And would if be bad form to have 100% employee participation? ^_^

americancyclo
    Participant

@consularrider 79013 wrote:

As far as best pit stops, I’ve only ridden to six of the northern Virginia ones. The afternoon Falls Church isn’t offered this year, and the East Falls Church afternoon stop had very limited offerings. Both the Alexandria Old Town and the Rosslyn pit stops have lots on offer, Crystal City runs all five work days with different offerings each day (at least that’s what happened the past two years, but doesn’t say so far this year), and Ballston is nice, but more not as many displays. Don’t forget that you are not limited to visiting the pit stop where you are registered. You can get swag at any pit stop, but can only get the t-shirt where you register. Different pit stops open at different times so you have to factor that in as well if you plan to do a tour de pit stops.

The Tri-360 afternoon pit stop last year was small in size, but heavy on the swag. I got some really nice socks that I still love and wear (and they have my initials!)

Crystal City was a nice consistent place to meet up all week, plus they were running a weekly attendance swag contest for a jacket.

dasgeh
    Participant

@PeteD 79044 wrote:

So… If I work for my own consulting company, and I work from my home office, can I still qualify to win a bike rack outside my business? And would if be bad form to have 100% employee participation? ^_^

And what if I know someone who, um, runs his own daycare? :-)

vvill
    Participant

My take on BtWD:
    Rosslyn and Ballston are the most fun.
    Crystal City is relatively quiet, but it’s a tranquil stop and worth a trip if you want easy to access to coffee/bagels and it’s easy to chat with the people there.
    Freedom Plaza is busy and has a lot going on with speeches, and organizations, etc. but not as “fun” feeling.
    Georgetown (near Cyclelife) had some unique baked-treat-type swag last year, and I saw some cool raffle prizes being won, but otherwise was a bit small.
    Nat Geo Society in DC is okay, has a few different booths around, about on par with Georgetown or Crystal City.

A lot of the smaller DC stops such as Farragut Square are very small. I haven’t been west of EFC for a stop yet.

Tri360 are very generous with their swag! I have a SockGuy base layer I looove from the stop there last year, and the year before I got some fitting “Swag Wh0re” socks.

jrenaut
    Participant

I think I may have to leave early this year and head out west before going to Freedom Plaza. No one said the stops had to actually be on your way to work, right?

consularrider
    Participant
    americancyclo
    Participant

@jrenaut 79100 wrote:

I think I may have to leave early this year and head out west before going to Freedom Plaza. No one said the stops had to actually be on your way to work, right?

You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?

jrenaut
    Participant

@americancyclo 79155 wrote:

You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?

Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln’t be a problem. Sounds like fun.

ebubar
    Participant

Any Maryland-ers interested in a BTWD convoy to visit a few pit stops in the area? I’ll be in between summer sessions so should have all day to just cruise around! PM or reply here! If there’s enough interest, we can start our own thread.

americancyclo
    Participant

@jrenaut 79162 wrote:

Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln’t be a problem. Sounds like fun.

Its just onside the beltway off rte 50 between falls church and annandale. I was kinda joking but I’d love the company if you want to haul all the way out here for a 630 departure and roll with newbies back to dc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.