2013 Convoy from W&OD/Gallows into Tysons

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2013 2013 Convoy from W&OD/Gallows into Tysons

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    scott930
    Participant

I recall seeing a comment on a convoy headed up Gallows into Tysons, but don’t see that option anymore on the convoy page.

I’ve never ventured by bike into the automotive h#ll known as Tysons, so I’m pretty reluctant to do it without a few other experienced commuters. The larger the convoy, the safer we’ll be as we approach Mordor and attempt to evade hordes of Range Rovers to make the Tysons pit stop.

Vicegrip
    Participant

I go from W&OD into and out of Tysons every day but don’t use Gallows. Where is the Tysons pitstop? there are a couple of back ways in from the W&OD that don’t involve busy roads.

PeteD
    Participant

I commute up Gallows from W&OD, but am lucky to stop at Boone, so I’m at the southern perimeter of Tysons. I was thinking of going up and to LL Bean stop at the mall, first getting to Ballston to get some of that sweet sweet Bike Arlington Swag.

So the best route there I think from the trail is up the Gallows bike lane, and then turn right on Gallows Branch, go across the bridge over Rt 7, then down around to LL Bean, which is over at the Bloomingdale’s end of the mall. It’s not that bad as long as you do it before 9am, before all the shoppers start showing up.

I used to work at Microstrategy, and yea, it is a bit of traffic hell, but the earlier you can do that the better.

JimF22003
    Participant

The way i usually cross Rt 7 is to cut through the covered Olive Garden parking lot to the frontage road in front of the bagel place and cross at the Ford dealership. Sometimes I’ll just stay right on Gallows and cross at the big intersection, if I’m feeling especially sprinty.

Last year for BTWD I crossed Rt 7 to get to the mall for the LL Bean stop at the red light in front of the jewelry store (can’t recall the name). Traffic wasn’t a problem that I recall.

scott930
    Participant

@Vicegrip 51729 wrote:

I go from W&OD into and out of Tysons every day but don’t use Gallows. Where is the Tysons pitstop? there are a couple of back ways in from the W&OD that don’t involve busy roads.

Pit stop is at LL Bean this year. I’m probably going to hit Vienna (my official pit) on way towards Tysons. What back roads do you generally take? My main concern is cutting across Rt 7 somewhere; other than that, there are some back roads within Tysons that I feel I can comfortably take to my site this week.

bbearman
    Participant

@Vicegrip 51729 wrote:

Where are you coming from? West of Tysons? or DC? I’m looking for a ride buddy coming from DC to Tysons (WO&D –> north on Great Falls St).

looch
    Participant

@bbearman 51878 wrote:

Where are you coming from? West of Tysons? or DC? I’m looking for a ride buddy coming from DC to Tysons (WO&D –> north on Great Falls St).

I’m also considering making my first bike ride from DC (NorthWest) to Tysons. I’ve not made the commute yet, but would be interested in finding a group to ride with that could meet up somewhere in DC sometime between 7-8am this Friday, May 17. Let me know if you’re heading out from DC into Tyson’s and want to ride as a group.

Anybody have a Google map of a suggested route?

Peace!
    ~Erik

hoppy
    Participant

@looch 51958 wrote:

I’m also considering making my first bike ride from DC (NorthWest) to Tysons. I’ve not made the commute yet, but would be interested in finding a group to ride with that could meet up somewhere in DC sometime between 7-8am this Friday, May 17. Let me know if you’re heading out from DC into Tyson’s and want to ride as a group.

Anybody have a Google map of a suggested route?

Peace!
    ~Erik

Erik, not knowing your start and end point, my general recommendation for the mid point is to get to the W&OD trail westbound. You’ll go through Arlington, then Falls Church, then hit Gallows Road. At Gallows Road, take a right. There is a bike lane that will take you right to the edge of Tysons. You can then go where you need to go from there.

eminva
    Participant

Sorry for jumping in so late, but if you are going to the mall (the pit stop is at LL Bean), you can take the W&OD to Gallows. Turn right on Gallows (or left if you are coming from the west). There are bike lanes. Turn right on Gallows Branch Road and then left on Kidwell Drive. That turns into Towers Crescent Drive and has an overpass over Route 7. Turn right onto Shoptysons Boulevard. Turn left on Fashion Boulevard, which will take you right to LL Bean.

If you come by the Vienna pit stop, say hello! I’ll be there for the duration.

Liz

looch
    Participant

Thanks eminva!

I’ve already chosen my pit stop in DC, so I’ll be hitting that up first, before I head out.

Thanks also for the recommendations on the route, hoppy!

Hope you all have a great ride tomorrow.

~Looch

scott930
    Participant

@eminva 52465 wrote:

…take the W&OD to Gallows. Turn right on Gallows (or left if you are coming from the west). There are bike lanes. Turn right on Gallows Branch Road and then left on Kidwell Drive. That turns into Towers Crescent Drive and has an overpass over Route 7. Turn right onto Shoptysons Boulevard. Turn left on Fashion Boulevard, which will take you right to LL Bean.

If you come by the Vienna pit stop, say hello! I’ll be there for the duration.

That was my exact route. Stated at Vienna pit stop, which was hopping at 6:45ish, a lot of folks were out and more were showing up. From the Vienna to the Tysons pit stop was 16 minutes, then around Westpark to my office, door-to-door in 26:30 (not counting pit stop time).

Commute was fairly easy, other than starting on a few hills on Gallows or Westpark stoplights, and the kindly fellow who smashed some glass on the bike lane near Tysons. After pulling off on Gallows Branch, didn’t see much traffic after that until Westpark (near Rt 7), but I started in Vienna at 6:45 and got in early. Wouldn’t want to roll through Tysons after 8:00a.

The Tysons pit stop was abandoned at 7:00-7:10 or so when I was there. When I showed up, I was the only person. Another biker joined just after that and left about the same time I was, and it looked like a third bike was just rolling in. Hope it picked up as the morning wore on. Kinda disappointed the Tysons stop didn’t have any food, coffee, or water. Skipped the coffee in Vienna figuring I’d get a cup closer to work.

JimF22003
    Participant

I was at the Tysons PS at about 7:15. Only two other people were there (maybe one was you?) Not much there. I skipped breakfast thinking I could pick up a brownie or something like I did last year, but the cupboard was bare :(

scott930
    Participant

@JimF22003 52523 wrote:

(maybe one was you?)

Possibly. I was in black jersey, black slacks, blue helmet. On a white road bike.

Given that La Sandia and California Pizza Kitchen were sponsors and the site said “refreshments,” I was expecting something to munch on. But the two restaurants didn’t even have a table or representatives out there. Can a biker get a Cali pizza and a shot of tequila from Sandia? 😎

PeteD
    Participant

Got to Tyson’s late, was there at 8:35. Only a couple people there, one was having is CAAD10 looked at by the REI wrench.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.